Saturday 5 January 2019

Marathon (viewing) Midge Maisel

Voila! Where on earth have I been? I can fill pages (or even books) in answering that one so perhaps we'll keep it aside for another day. Even better if that day is a rainy one while we're huddled near the porch with mugs of steaming hot chocolate, ah! Anyhooo, since my recent circumstances in life have allowed me only limited time for recreation and TV viewing, I have found solace in Amazon's Prime Video which almost always has something interesting to offer, no matter my mood. My most recent muse has been Midge Maisel, yes, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel.

For the uninitiated, the series chronicles the journey of a naive but smart young woman in the 1950s whose husband makes the halfwitted mistake of falling for another. And it's not a journey that's saddened by self-pity and husband-loathing. Instead, it is the journey of her discovery of her funny bone and being her own person. A period comedy that's merely two seasons old but has already bagged adulations and awards.

I had just finished binge-watching Royals and Reign when I set eyes on this much advertised Amazon's Prime Video Original series. Once I started watching it, I realised I couldn't stop myself. I know, I know binge-watching is associated with a total lack of self-control amongst other serious physiological states including depression. I assure you, my reasons for binging were not driven by any of these, not even the chic dressing sense of the eponymous Mrs Maisel. I think aside from the comedy, what really allured me was the tenacity of the young woman to look at life in the eye while stamping her mark all over it. I soon found myself rooting and rejoicing for her as she finds her feet while transitioning a full-time single mother to part-time comedienne. I love the way the story is told with ransom flashbacks that piece-in together later. I love that every character is so unique and yet so relatable. And of course, I love the dignified dressing sense replete with the handbags, heels and hats; so not-nouveau-riche. I can't remember a time when I didn't want her ensemble for myself. Maybe just once, yeah the same one in which she got arrested for the first time. I also marvel at the similarity in the morals with which Midge and I have been raised (look at me referring to her by her first name as though we were chums) though it makes me a appear a bit retro myself.

The 50s feel is so beautifully recreated in the sets and the props that it almost discourages you from returning to the present. The paradoxical dialogues which leave you wondering if the person meant to salute or slander are still always dot on the comic beat. The peek into the Jewish ways of life help you decipher the idiosyncratic behavioural patterns of the quirky characters. The musical score and the picturization has that broadway musical touch to it that you can almost feel you sitting in one in Paris. No, in New York. No, in 1950. And when that song 'Leave everything to me' plays, it makes you envy Midge's organisational and multi tasking abilities and her ability to remain cool headed. Just like how you love Midge for refusing to take her deviant husband back and keeping up with her bold and brash gigs following her to the different bars in her beautiful berets. That was quite an alliteration and an apt reminder that there're other things in life than Mrs Maisel! And with that I'm signing off for the day. Do keep returning to read my blog and stay amazing! 

2 expert opinion(s):

Unknown said...

Return to form ! The best characters are those which relatable, the alliterations are endearing !
Have you seen the YouTube promos where leading women comics share thier journey. Worth checking out.

The Lioness said...

Thank you !! I'm jumping off to youtube now :D

Post a Comment